Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chacos and Mountain Bikes and Flying Dog OH MY!

So we haven't put anything in boxes yet, but it is more in the spirit of avoiding the inevitable than lazy. We've researched housing and neighborhoods, applied to jobs, tried to imagine how we can actually get all of our stuff across the country, and tried to figure out all of the silly little details like car insurance, banks, drivers license, cell phone plan, etc. etc. Doing grown-up stuff is everything we dreamed it would be and more!

In the meantime, I've been working on my required reading and "essays" that I need to complete before institute begins on June 7th in ATL. It is a crash course in ED-101 with a TFA twist, and is intended to initiate the indoctrination process that will turn me from a regular human being into a teacher. I'm becoming fluent with concepts and buzz-words such as "setting high expectaions", "teaching to standards", "differentiated instruction", and "IEP's". I believe that my short time as a substitute at Lexington 1 has been very helpful in exposing me to this sort of dialogue, and giving me a context in which I can at least imagine these concepts taking root. Though this advantage will be irrelevant after a few weeks in summer school in ATL, for now it is helping me put a face on these otherwise vague concepts.

Something I've been meaning to do is look into what regional Colorado cuisine is. The first thoughts I have are Bison burgers, rocky mountain oysters, and yogurt and granola. If anyone has any good mountain-west recipes or ideas feel free to share.

My deferral with the Medical University of South Carolina is now officially official, and the current plan is to return to Charleston, SC after my two year commitment with TFA. At this rate, I should be a doctor by the time I'm 29 or so. For those who confuse being accepted to med school with actual competence, no I do not know why you have recurring headaches during thunderstorms, what that rash is on your leg, or how to give you an insulin shot.

That's all for now. Grace and peace to all.

lm and km (she's actually at work right now, but i'm sure she'd approve this message)

0 comments:

Post a Comment